Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Dog-tags

So Brodie is working with Daddy in the garage and just ran into me holding something....Daddy's military dog-tags. For those of you who do not know what dog tags are, they are silver tags that hang around the neck of a soldier. They have vital information pertaining to the soldier. As I took the dog tags in my hand, I read the information engraved on them. Name, security number, blood type, and religion. I thought, hmm . . . religion? It struck a cord with me.

So if a soldier is at war and something happens to them, their dog tags have the top 4 of vital information another soldier would need to know about them...name, social, blood type, and religion. It made me think if I were to die, do the people around me know these "important things" about me? No, I don't have dog tags around my neck, but they should know by the way I live my life. What would they say about me? Would my relationship with God be in with the top 4 important things they say about me?

So, what's on your dog tag? Name, social, blood type . . . ? I can't think of anything more important than a person knowing what's going to happen to them when this life ends.

Soldiers know they may face death when going to war, so they think about it, just look at the 4th thing on their dog tag. I hope you've thought about what happens when your heart stops beating. If you haven't I hope you will soon.

I hope that you know that there's a God who loves you. Who loves you more than you can ever imagine and who wants you to spend forever with Him in heaven. If there's one thing I've been reminded of lately it's that life is fragile and shouldn't be taken for granted. We're not promised tomorrow. If you have questions, I'm here. If you're not sure that you even believe there is a God, ask him to show you if He's real. Know that I share this with you because I care. I don't want someone to one day ask me "why didn't you tell me?"

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I've just been surfing around blogs and am amazed at how many bloggers (at least that I've seen tonight) share their faith in God. I find it refreshing and encouraging. I also believe in a God who loves us eternally, who has provided us with all we need to come back to Him if only we can find it. There is a right way, and we can find it. I hope to be like Him some day. Thank you for your beautiful post! It's given me something to think about!